What is Data Archiving? It is the process of removing data from a production application that is no longer providing value to the organization. I have been working with Data for over 20 years. Some of it is high quality and some just plain bad. One thing that we all have seen is that all application data continues to grow. IT organizations are challenged to control this growth while improving overall application performance, and also meet compliance requirements. More and more of today’s technology decision-makers are being tasked with helping their business to make the right Information Governance choices for their organization while also maintaining a positive ROI. In order to increase your company’s performance, IBM Optim™ for Data Archiving is the perfect solution!
IBM InfoSphere OPTIM™ Archiving controls data growth enabling organizations to:
1. Improve application performance, meet SLAs: Condensed data equals better performance. Simple and very true, if your application has to spin through 10 years of Trial Balance information, it will take longer than searching through the past 3-5 years. In today’s fast paced environment, every nano-second counts.
2. Control storage costs: A recent client had to archive as much data as possible in an effort to reduce the overall cost of new technology they had recently purchased. The reason was simple; the new all-in-one “appliance” had a licensing structure based on how much data was in the Database. Approximately 90 million rows of data were saved each year as a result.
3. Reduce maintenance burden: When you decrease the size of your database, it becomes much more productive and easier to maintain. Even if your database shrinks by only 30%, imagine how much easier and faster running of your nightly backup becomes. How about copying the DB for QA, Development, Testing etc.
4. Streamline upgrades: It seems that every upgrade client faces issues around older data being much more difficult to manage in an upgrade. With the process of archiving, you are removing the insignificant data. This will make your upgrade process much more effective and will help you avoid issues with low quality data that generally has little value to your company.
5. Safely retire legacy applications: As new technology is adopted, it is inevitable that older applications lose their effectiveness. Often the data is required for a regulatory purpose. Archiving with IBM Optim will give you the ability to remove the old application but maintain the data that is necessary for your reporting needs.
6. Enable prompt, accurate responses to audit & discovery requests: Organizations have a predetermined time line on how long they are required to retain their archived data. Some companies have union and retirement requirements that state they need to keep the data for the lifetime of an employee, while other data is necessary for only a few years. The proper archiving strategy and tool allows them to do mange and access what they need with ease.
Companies will see a negative impact on their core systems in ways such as weakened performance as a result of failure to properly manage data volume,. IBM InfoSphere OPTIM™ (Optim) can help lessen potential problems before they severely impact the organization. Optim Archive has been consistently named as the archiving market leader by the major analyst firms.
Data provides life to an organization. Keep your organization in top shape with Optim Archive.
Do you know what’s coming in Optim 9.1? Register now for our upcoming webinar