I’ve had an opportunity to do a significant amount of PeopleSoft SCM implementations and upgrades within the healthcare environment. In addition to typical materials management functionality, i.e. procurement, receiving, issues, replenishment, etc., the healthcare industry, in particular the hospital environment, has requirements specific to that industry. Oracle has worked with the healthcare industry to address many of those requirements and tailor its software to the needs of that particular environment. While on a project at Partners Healthcare in Boston I was on a project team that worked directly with PeopleSoft to incorporate one of those unique hospital requirements, “Stockless Inventory”, into the inventory and purchasing modules. In addition to stockless inventory, some of the functionality provided by the PeopleSoft SCM suite to address those unique hospital requirements include:
- PeopleSoft provides par cart functionality. Par carts can be mobile carts, supply closets, automated point of service dispensing machines, or any other type of location that stores patient supplies outside the primary storage locations. These stock locations allow for replenishment without having to track the movement of material. Periodic counts of the par cart allow the system to determine if the material at the specified location should be replenished.
- The use of stockless inventory is provided in PeopleSoft SCM. Agreements are set up between the healthcare institution and the supplier where stockless items on a cart that require replenishment automatically generate a purchase order to the supplier and the supplier directly resupplies the material on the cart. The generation of these purchase orders is triggered through a counting event conducted on the cart. This improves the bottom line by reducing inventory costs and reducing cycle times associated with the procurement and replenishment process.
- PeopleSoft provides functionality to capture consumer usage data and interface that data to and from patient admissions systems, cost accounting systems, and billing systems. This is accomplished through the use of delivered Enterprise Integration Points (EIPs).
- The PeopleSoft system provides the ability for full integration between point-of-use (POU) medical supply dispensing cabinets and PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management applications. This integration is achieved by leveraging PeopleSoft Inventory par location (mobile carts) functionality with POU supplier systems. This integration is accomplished through the use of generic EIPs, using service operations in PeopleSoft Integration Broker to exchange applicable par locations, item counts, and expected receipt information between the PeopleSoft system and the POU supplier.
- Surgical Resource Systems can be integrated with PeopleSoft SCM by leveraging delivered EIPs and the par location functionality in PeopleSoft Inventory.
- Although hand held devices are used in most industries they are particularly prevalent in hospital SCM settings. PeopleSoft offers two options regarding handheld devices. An application, Mobile Inventory Management, is delivered as part of PeopleSoft’s Inventory Management suite of modules. This application provides the benefit of sharing data in a common database with the inventory module. A second option is the use of a third party mobile application. Delivered interfaces are provided with PeopleSoft to allow the sharing of data between the inventory module and third party hand held device software.
To learn more about PeopleSoft SCM and related healthcare functionality contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let me assist you with identifying ways to streamline and enhance your healthcare SCM processes, leveraging delivered PeopleSoft functionality.