The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto is the largest and highest profile pediatric facility in Canada. They are a recognized world leader in research and patient care. Modernizing human resources, transforming the employee experience, and attracting talent have been ongoing objectives for their hospital. In 2009, an Oracle Insight Review resulted in a multi-phase transformation of SickKids’ Human Capital Management with PeopleSoft enterprise software. The top priority was to put PeopleSoft functionality into the hands of the managers and employees.
BTRG was selected as a strategic implementation partner because of our reputation within the healthcare and academic industries. SickKids felt confident engaging BTRG as our experience with PeopleSoft dates back to 1993. BTRG tackled this project in two phases, with a highly skilled team of functional and technical experts. Our project team was unique in that it included senior Solutions Architects and an Engagement Manager. These roles provided the vision, direction and quality needed for success.
Manager Action Center for PeopleSoft Manager Self Service
With BTRG’s Manager Action Center for PeopleSoft, managers can access and process all of their transactions from one place. Users have the ability to change information for direct reports within the system and track approval from the next-level manager as it happens.
As part of a recent PeopleSoft HCM 9.1 upgrade, BTRG retooled the PeopleSoft Manager Self Service front-end and consolidated several manager self-service screens into one unified manager self-service front end.
✔ New Recruiting System
✔ New Manager Self Service
✔ Upgraded PeopleSoft HRMS 9.1 Core System
✔ New SharePoint Manager Portal
✔ New External Content on SickKids.ca
✔ Updated Content and Links on KidWeb
✔ New Online Training Modules on iLearn
✔ New Infrastructure Supporting PeopleSoft HRMS
Phase 1 Project Outcomes:
- Person Model – SickKids was able to migrate all non-employees (including volunteers, incorporated physicians and cross-appointed research scientists not on the payroll) to PeopleSoft. This created a single, easy-to-access source for all paid and unpaid staff records for tracking, reporting and regulatory purposes.
- Automation of Benefits Administration – Our implementation provided the basis for redesigned benefit process flow improvements. Leave Processing (maternity/paternity), Pension Plan eligibility and automation of all benefit enrollment/terminations were major successes.
- Redesigned Security – The security fundamentals put in place during Phase 1 ensure an efficient and effective roll-out of new modules on a scalable security foundation. Security in this phase focused on privacy of data, segregation of duties, audit trails and controls, reporting and streamlining the security maintenance process. Phase 1 provided the basics for the implementation of additional functionality such as PeopleSoft Manager Self Service and Recruiting Solutions in Phase 2.
“Managers, administrative delegates, and HR staff are using online Manager Self Service with automated workflow for all SickKids employee change transactions.… Compared to our old manual paper processes, significant time savings and productivity benefits are being realized.”
Robert Cesario, Director, HR Transformation Human Resources, The Hospital for Sick Children
Phase 2 Project Outcomes:
- Automation of Recruiting Solutions – BTRG’s implementation allowed for automatic candidate tracking and screening, which enables SickKids to recruit and retain a highly skilled workforce.
- BTRG’s Manager Action Center – This exclusive solution streamlined processes and automates Manager Self Service for employee lifecycle change requests through automated workflow.
- Increased Productivity and Efficiencies – Improved processes with automated workflow now save time organization-wide. Further, eliminating manual processes has resulted in a significant reduction of errors.
- Improved Financial and Risk Management – Automated processes have also led to improved audit and controls, which eliminate risk and improve financial controls.